Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wounds

I've now spent half of three weeks away from site. Away from Balatina, away from school, away from Maria, Lulu, Renata and Bianca for 2 separate health issues. I currently have 6 stitches in my back and a computer that refuses to stayed on for more than 20 minutes. It's February, my least favorite month. I have a brown bag of iodine and alcohol swabs, some sterilized tweezers and industrial bandaids to take home with me. I'm not allowed to wear a back pack though, so I'll be hauling clothes etc. in some bunica-approved pungas. I'll be back Sunday night.

Emotions: vague sense of waiting and uselessness. warmth. frustration.

I like being here, staying in this apartment. I make my own food, but still feed the scraps to stray dogs. I can shower, but only my front: stitches and bandaging to remain dry. I don't teach, but have made and laminated so many teaching materials (at six hours a day, 4 days in a row, you imagine how many verbs and fragmented sentences you can pull packing tape over) I feel I may actually be more productive for the "sustainable resources" branch of my job than I ever could be at home. I can even walk to the store that sells printer paper, plastic sheets, ring binders, labels and other such stationary necessities.

In short, I can do my job because I can do my job.

As soon as I get home, this will stop. My computer won't turn on and nothing will be made. But I'll have 2 days packed with Maria, Roma/Grigore, Renata and Natalia. So, that'll be nice.

Stitches out on Tuesday. Must stay Wednesday for observation. My skin is healing well, though, and I am allergic to nothing. If I'd been a Roman, I'd not have died of septosemia. woo! go body! go genes!

2 comments:

Raf said...

Even though I'm not sure of the resiliency of my own genetic makeup, I'll agree: Go Genes!!!

50, Fat and Single said...

Your mom is in my American University cohort - love your blog! Pam