Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Movies 2011

While I talk a big talk about relevant and applicable things (politics, economics, non-art related master degrees) we all know at my heart I am dotty for movies, and things I try to do that don't include them will run at 50% effort.

And now I'll be stateside for the Oscar rush of goodness. At $9 a movie, I anticipate to spend a maximum of $117 between Sept 1 and Jan 1 on movies.

In release date order:

The Whistleblower
Dream House
The Skin I Live In
Anonymous
In Time
Sleeping Beauty
My Week with Marilyn
Carnage
The Artist
Coriolanus
Sherlock Holmes
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
In the Land of Blood and Honey

Ok. I can cut that in half. Must Sees are Whistleblower, Carnage, Sherlock Holmes and Girl.

The last movie I saw in America was Star Trek.
The only one I've seen in a theatre since is, remarkably fucking lucky, Inception. I just happened to have stitches in my back and there was a free showing of an English language movie in Chisinau, and that movie just happened, 8 months after it's release, to be the only one I'd regret not having seen on a screen big as the visual package offered.

phew

General remarks:

3 of the list are directed by women (the last being Miss Jolie's debut direction) which is a surprisingly large number.

The bookends are both set in Bosnia, and Coriolanus was filmed there. I'm glad I'm getting all my visiting in before it explodes in popularity.

Because of ticket price, I will not buying twizzlers or coke.

Moldovan concession stands sell beer for movies. I drank a tasty Baltika 6 while watching Inception. I also paid $20 for a two litre tub of caramel corn. I refuse to pay for these things in America.





No comments: