Friday, February 3, 2012

Self Improvement


Everyday is another Pollyanna/Lil Orphan Annie opportunity to become a better person, in some way. Either you help a blind person across a street, listen to someone complain, learn some new vocab, edit a resume, apply to a new job, drill holes somewhere, try hoola hooping for the first time, discipline your dog in a loving, gentle way, experiment with a new recipe, read a book... whatever. Well, I do half a dozen distinct self improvement things everyday, and I don't want to today.


Sitting at my new desk in the new basement looking at a gorgeous piece of Klimt art, and then my sketches for the painting to be replicated on the back of my door, and my guitar, all the collage cards I need to send out, the book I just finished, the millions of Monster.com responses I have two hours to respond to, the power drill on my floor, the endless more books to read, and I come up with three tears and three words like any good three year old might:


I don't wanna.


How much positive movement forward can we force out of ourselves before we need a black out day? It must be one of those things that requires inertia and desire. It probably depends on the person. Scratch that, it definitely depends on the person.


But, what are the reasons for breaking down? Smoothie had a breakdown apparently. Not too big, not that she couldn't easily recover from within an hour or two, but it was unexpected. What are the pressures that go into a person, and what are the devices in them that digest these pressures and relieve them to non-toxic levels?


Like always I am full of questions and short on answers. But, it shows forward movement that I've defined the questions, right? Now I can form a hypothesis and get on with the betterment.


Yes!

1 comment:

Leah said...

You couldn't be more spot-on with the kind of day I've had. Thanks for posting, love your sassy commentary! Hope all is well :)

-Leah