Thursday, September 17, 2009

I don't speak Russian

One of the more fascinating things about Moldova is of course its political history. Its fresh and confused. But rather determined. Its confusion extends to the people's confusion of course...

As a former Soviet state, alot of the population spoke Russian primarily for many years. Today, fewer people speak Russian primarily, hence I speak Romanian -- the national and literary language.

Yet, 2 people have mistaken me (before I opened my mouth of course) for a Russian... fine, I correct them, speak to them in Romanian and move on.

But! When a strange, Russian speaking man calls your phone 5 times in a row speaking only Russian, and you apologize in every language you know (two) and he responds by hanging up and calling back and mixing "fucking" into his Russian more and more... well, that's not fun.

However, my friend Matt and I have decided that one axis gauging our success is based on the strangeness of experiences, and I think I'm leading. If not 10 minutes ago, just wait til I tell him about this little encounter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do ye have a reliable address? I have mailables!!!

And I love you. And have been thinking about you often these days.

And I made a new friend yesterday! It is proving a slow process, but it is happening. And my roommates are fantastic. And love.

: ]