Monday, December 28, 2009

drunk with students

TODAY'S LEARNED VOCABULARY:

pele wele - colloquial slang for sex
pusca (that 's' is a 'sh' sound) - rifle
bet - drunk

there are many a taboo in the world. most of course differ between cultures.

Taboos in Murka:

Drinking with Students
Having Sex with Students

Taboos in Moldova:

Women Drinking
Women Smoking
Women Swearing

I of course have no qualms with myself drinking, smoking or swearing. I curb them all in order to be initially respected and then let them go with time, thus easing my community into the idea that a woman CAN IN FACT do these things and STILL function in a respectable manner. Who knew.

However, mixing taboos is an interesting taboo cocktail. Like a Long Island Ice Tea -- by all chemical rights it shouldn't work... but... it does!

That is, I just returned home from the following:

+ 6 breakless hours teaching kids who have no interest in what I am teaching.
+ 2 hours cleaning, talking with my host mother in Romanian, making bread.
+ 1 hour speaking in Romanian with Renata (magic) and two of my least motivated boy students in 11th grade about why I won't sleep with them and drinking Renata's (magic) moonshine (the only tasty moonshine I've yet tasted.... stay alert for a posting on Moldovan moonshine)
+ Picking up Renata's daughter at the kindergarten
+ Having a snow fight with one of the students (who previously I'd hated for breaking the concentration of one of my favorite girl student, Olga's, in her classes as they are unfortunately dating)

Home now, I feel fulfilled and happy and warm. Tomorrow I leave for Spain and I could not have imagined a better way to leave my village to entice me to come... home.

1 comment:

Phillip said...

I have yet to have a "why I won't sleep with you" conversation with any students. And I don't see it coming any time soon, if ever. But I understand them wanting to sleep with you.