Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Beatles are Magic

I think I have come up with a perfect, teenage friendly, semester long plan.

Every week I have classes with 11th graders and 12th graders who have no textbook to speak of.

I'm photocopying Coraline for them to read. Most like it but its a bit fantastic for some.... thus....

Beatles lyrics!

How did I not think of this before?! Later Beatles lyrics are rife with consistent tense usage, parallelism, fun teenage themes... Then! at the end of the semester they can be rewarded with an absurdly angsty film featuring all the language they've already learned: Across the Universe. Thus rendering it long term pay off for all their concentration! hell yes!

I'll let you know how it goes. We're starting with All You Need is Love.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oooo. Good luck.

I'm excited to see how it goes.

Bob O said...

So, about those textbooks: what would be a good one for them to read? Any ideas? I'm sure amazon delivers in Moldova, one way or another.

Watch your footing while you read "All You Need Is Love"!