Friday, February 5, 2010

Re: The Beatles are Magic

So far... just having problems with my partner...

She really liked My Heart Will Go On, so we spent two or three class periods singing it. I was forced to lead a couple times and it was... well some students liked it when I impersonated Celine Dion and basically dropped some true Diva Tears on them, but otherwise it was truely boring.

She did not like All You Need is Love (contrary to all her other tastes in music) and kinda edged it out of class. Thus, the real power of this idea will not commence until next year when I have the whole Beatles syllabus planned.

In other news I get to teach Billy how to Hora tomorrow night. The Hora is a traditional Moldovan circle dance where we all hold hands, step three times to the right, kick your left foot, kick your right foot then step three times to the right... Repeat endlessly.

This is unlike anything you with your innate American 4/4 rhythm brains can fathom. It seems easy, but keeping it up ad infinitum to music whose beat is not only something obscure like 6/8 but is also not at all in time with the fancy foot work.

And just when you think you can muddle through they add the hands which are, in fact, bobbed to 4/4 time.

I gave up. Billy still has lots of New Kid Optimism however, so it'll probably be a riot.

It's good having him here. As a natural tour guider, I tell him only all the really great things that I notice and partake in here, thus, my own motivation goes up a bit.

He has already noticed the roughness and frustration of trying to integrate and speak the language, and can't wait to move to Paris where he will be able to communicate.

It's predicted that winter will drag on to April this year. I've moved temporarily into the tiny room next to mine for warmth.

3 comments:

Phillip said...

You know who else loves dancing the hora. . . Jews. No lie.

Kiddo said...

thaaaaanks.... phil...

Bob O said...

Think of this dance as...waltzing at a briss.