Monday, April 4, 2011

Strange Things are Afoot in Spring

Blooming from continuing arguments with Laurentiu about my view of the world vs his view of the world, is a new verbal, and tomorrow written, contract.

Arguments have consisted of:

L: Of course you want to be married!
E: I don't want to be married. Besides, I don't have time to get married.

L: Of course you want a baby! It's a little Erika running around!
E: Babies are time consuming, expensive and dirty. I like none of these things.

L: Men like spicy food, women like bland food.
E: Not in my experience.

Though, of course each one takes 10 minutes, goes in circles and involves a lot of Maria intervening.

Overall, I'm always surprised by how much he lets me say. I guess it's one of the reasons this family was chosen to host an American.

Today however, it steered to:

E: I'm glad you don't smoke a lot.
L: I smoke maybe one pack in a week...more like two.
E: I know! and I'm glad for it! It means your body does not smell like smoke!
L: ...mumble mumble...
M: Smoking makes your clothes and skin smell terrible!
E: Exactly! When I sit next to a man on a ruteria he almost always smells terrible because every time we stop he has to go have a cigarette.
L: I don't smoke -- wait! I've seen you smoke!
E: I smoke maybe one cigarette in two months.
L: Good. Women should not smoke.
E: People who want to smell good should not smoke.
M: People who want to smell good should not drink alcohol either. A drinker can enter a room and you can be two rooms away and know a drinker just entered! Foo!
E: Foo!
L: ...mumble mumble...

...

L: When do you leave Erika?
E: August.
L: I will not smoke or drink until you leave. You must see how strong I am.
E: whoa... really?
M: He did it once. He won a competition! Starting at New Years and going for 3 months... was it 4... a set amount of time--very long-- There were 6 men all decided not to drink and each gave so much wood to the prize -- it was 10 metres of wood! And Laurentiu won!
E: Whoa. Very cool! High five!
L: *high fives, nods his head
E: And you will do it again?
L: Until you leave.
M: What about Easter? I can't just serve alcohol to our guests and you will want some!
L: oh!
E: After Easter!
L: After Easter!
M: You will forget this tomorrow.
E: I will bring paper tomorrow. We will write on it. We will have Laurentiu's signiture.
L: Yes! Very just!
E: You could have been a lawyer.
L: I am very strong and just.
E: very just.
M: After Easter...
L: Until Easter!
E: No. After.

We shall see. I'm excited.

No comments: