Friday, January 21, 2011

Star Trek Changed My Life

I'm rewatching Star Trek the Original Series. And yes, the pacing is insane, their "powers of illusion" and random Greek gods and light blobs are ludicrous, and the acting just preposterous. But, it just now, not 5 minutes ago, occurred to me that Captains Pike, Kirk, Picard and Janeway don't give in to the sorts of situations that the people around me would.

They aren't normal. I've been watching and idolizing people my whole life who aren't normal. They don't quit, or harm, or betray people. They look at their emotions and don't allow themselves to succumb. Demands from inefficiency or bigotry or idiocy aren't tolerated or even entertained.

So... is it any wonder that I grew weird? It's a good time. Hooray for Star Trek.

Because Pike doesn't give in to banging the awesome blonde chick who has his old Tango the horse, I don't know how to quit jobs and career-related ambitions once I have them. Huh.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I think Star Trek was always as much about what we might be versus what were are. It could just as easily be an ideal to strive for as long as you canallow yourself to sometimes fall short. Which, by the way, I certainly think Picard illustrates the exact same human fallability you just discribed in Star Trek: First Contact when he is unable to accept that the borg might not be defeated and that chick from the past compares him to Ahab from Moby Dick.