Friday, October 31, 2008

Passive aggressivism sucks.

I know from extensive reading that most poetry written is written in a voice other than the poet's own.

I've also learned from extensive writing, that it's much harder to do.

Actual fiction? Actual fucking fiction--stories that have nothing to do with anything you've ever done, and people you've never met (for Stef: a string of Kicking The Dog instances actually working) is really fucking hard.

If I live enough, I'll run into all sorts of situations and people that can be jigsawed into a plot. If I write enough, I'll describe enough instances and happenings from my own life that eventually I'll be able to make things sound distant from my life. Or, if I'm feeling Tarantino, a non-plot with fun dialog.



In other news, my halloween costume has been a big hit with the Oklahoma natives who don't quite believe that it's not at all outlandish for me to wear it in public all day. I think they'd die if I ever did the Valkerie thing out here.

Pictures to follow.

Also, Ixi had hiccups earlier as she was sitting on my lap! It was both cute and distressing. how odd.

5 comments:

Dillon Hawkins said...

Avoid Tarantino situations at all costs. It's just not cool anymore. I really do hate that man.

Kiddo said...

I can always depend on you for sound advice Die-lon!

Ms. Frances said...

Erika! What WAS your costume?? I was Padme in Episode Three when she's pregnant and goes to find Anakin and Obi Wan stows away on her ship. So basically I wore my Jedi costume from a couple of years ago and just stuffed a vest under my shirt.

Stephanie said...

I was a young professional on vacation for halloween. IE: I handed out candy to adorable kids with Dillon's roomate and went to bed around midnight.

Faith said...

It can be fiction and yet not far removed from your own life.

How are you my friend? The only place I have to hang your paper cranes (which get many lovley compliments my dear) are from my ceiling fan and if I get up in the middle of the night I get tangled up in them.

Love you and hope you're well.