Tuesday, March 22, 2011

To Emphasize....

As though summoned by the gods of coincidence:

Laurentiu stumbled home today (a religious holiday to celebrate 40 different saints all at once) and has been snoring so convincingly I didn't mind singing really loudly.

Then Maria was cooking dinner, and a strange scrape/knocking happened on my window. Note that my window is the foot of an L and the Kitchen/back entrance is the spine. I get up, walk through the hallway, through the kitchen with Maria cooking, into the back entrance way and open the 4th door in 30 seconds and a very drunk, very dirty man is there trying to light a cigarette.

He asks if my dad is home. Maria asks what's going on.

This man is so different from the world Maria and I exist in that I answer her instinctively in English.

My brain did that thing where you are simultaneously translating.

She came out and yelled at the man.

I love Maria.

No comments: