Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Hunger Games and other Phenomenae

Phenomenally huge cultural stuffs (read: makes it even in Moldova) have to bunches of people I don't respect. Snob? You bet.


This is not to suggest, however, I do not think the things themselves valid. They are emotionally heavy-hitting, without fail, and I am all for that.


So, Titanic, blues, grunge, Black Beauty, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo---bring it on. My heart strings like getting tugged. Where I start having true problems with it is if it goes over the edge (Catcher in the Rye) or if it is honestly just tripe (Twilight).


Meaning I approach it with skepticism. The Hunger Games I have been mincing around. My lovely lady friend Aubergine finally shoved a copy into my hands last night to keep me warm while she put her two year old to bed.


This book is a reason to have faith in the masses. Though people slog through thousands of pages of feminine angst about whether or not to be a vampire, they will flip over and come up breathing genuine dystopic sci-fi that smacks of Cormac McCarthy and Orson Scott Card.


You just never can tell with hoi poloi.

No comments: