Friday, November 4, 2011

Knitting and Other Hobbies

I am confused by things deemed girl activities and boy activites. Girl hobbies and boy hobbies. Why people buy into the segregation, or why they don't. Where the divide is between sociological and genetic say on the subject. Why some people are cool with being guys with girl habits, girls with guy habits, and why some girls need to actually BE guys to continue the habit. Where and how sexual attractiveness stems from these things. Are boys or girls more creative? Are boys or girls more active? Where is the divide between mental and physical activity?

At the end of the brain tangle I conclude that “Who gives a fuck?” and I carry on collaging, playing guitar, baking and reading comics. Then I see people everywhere buying into the segregation. I see it dissapate as chick soccer takes over the suburban world. I receive (not yet, but they are promised!) hand knit leg warmers from one of the cutest chicks I have the pleasure of calling friend.


Then I see another woman I adore confine herself to cupcakes and pictures of them and using the word “cute” as often as possible. I see fashion aprons springing up all over the place, and gourmet pastry shops taking over the coffee cup.

And then I realize, these are not things women are doing because it is that or be be

aten and shunned as unaccomplished. It is individual after individual choosing, in their spare time to create on their own steam something to give pleasure into their immediate surroundings. They are paid in approval, money and simple feudal trades (the leg warmers, for instance, I will pay for in Via coffee packs).

Etsy.com is the epitome of this.

It feels like the prudent side of third wave feminism, and is scary as heck to me, but it is also irresistible. Am I a product of my time, or do girls really just need tiny lacy things to make them squeal?


1 comment:

Shannjh said...

You could argue multiple view points on this and never really get closer to an answer. You know how much of a tom-boy I am. Can I explain why I've started liking lacy things in the last few years? No. But it certainly isn't because anyone told me I should. Neither can I explain why I now find 1950s fashion so appealing these days. Perhaps because I look at some of the dresses and find them both classy and sexy. Whatever the reason, it's my opinion. It's my personality. As long as I'm comfortable with who I am and what my tastes are, I don't give a rats ass if I'm conforming (or not)in some way.

Yes, cute things make me squeal sometimes. Is it estrogen? Maybe. Has that estrogen kept me from putting on armor and beating the piss out of my guy friends? No.

What I really want to say is this: I MISS YOU BEAUTIFUL! *hugs*
-Shannon H.