Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Nine Inch Nails Tailspin

Studies of suicidal whoevers reveal an upped listening to depressing music with simple beats. Similar studies of successful geniuses (genii? Is this word of Latin or Greek extraction?) show Mozart and bach were piped directly though the sonogram machine.

Meaning I will neither be genius nor suicidal. I listen to both. They don't even effect my mood. No, there is a new study:

The Kiddo Study of Existential Music Enhancement

Whereby when I am nervous I have to listen to something like Marilyn Manson to blow the nervous energy right out. When I am joyous it must be something I can sing with. When I am bored, something complex – a little fugue or bluegrass. When I am angry it could flip between various Goldfrapp albums (ie a smattering of genres to distract, expunge, and calm). W

hen I am concentrating silence is distracting, as is music I know pretty well and enjoy a good deal. It's a tricky balance. I have to like it, but can't know it too well or or too little. Like Best of the Beach Boys. I know it so well it flows through me without distracting. Or any stoopid little indie band I haven't heard yet, I'll like it probably, but know nothing about it – it will flow through like water and leave me free to think.

The best though, and the hardest to hit on the head, is the inspirational. When I

am being wholly creative the music must be as fertilizer to my little thought bubble seed. Often this results in my repeating a song.

Like last week, I listened to Closer by Nine Inch Nails 10 times in a row driving from Frederick to Ellicott City and the thoughts I had were sublime.

Yep. Considerations.... Choices. Informed choices for personal gain and enhancement. I recommend it.


No comments: