Friday, November 18, 2011

Jimi Colored Glasses

As discussed, music can alter moods, and self-aware people can therefore self-medicate. Today's suggestion: Make a life soundtrack.


If you were the star of a movie depicting your life, what music would back it?


I'd have Howard Shore xylophone solos of poignancy, Michael Nyman piano concoctions for romance, Dead Weather and Crystal Castle cacophonies for kill scenes, and my personal favorite cover of all time:




All Along the Watchtower

by the immortal

Jimi Hendrix


for the ramping up of a quest. In my head I have a bow and arrow, knives in my boots and there's a shot of me climbing a cliff and pull/leap over the lip to face the penultimate foe.


I don't know what my final clash song would be, because I don't know what that clash will consist of. Also, who knows what sort music will exist by that time?


Music will make a dull life feel super-cool. My life is often Edith Piaf Pink. Winters in Moldova were propped up with Fine Frenzy yellows and tempered with Joni Mitchel blues. But today I'm going with Jimi Jimi Violet – violence in favor of productivity and a better immediate place in which I can slide back to a Thom York melange.

1 comment:

Kieren said...

Ended up here from Bob's blog while doing some major procrastinating. I like your posts, but I have to say I would prefer Hendrix's "Little Wing" to "All along the Watchtower." Maybe its because I've been desensitized after seeing the latter used so many times in helicopter flyover scenes from virtually any and all Vietnam War movies, but Hendrix and his guitar echo off other in such a beautiful and mesmerizing dance in Little Wing. It's a shame the song is only two minutes long though..

I guess Stevie Ray's cover will have to do as an extended version, but I still prefer the original ballad.