Monday, January 30, 2012

Buck Versus the Vacuum

Buck is over-motivated in protecting me from live vacuum cleaners. He finds joggers, golfers, and walkers to be threats to his national security also, but they are safely outside his glass portculis, and away over his grassy moats.


They are also pretty silent and have many obvious weak points to scratch and disembowel.


This guy though, is under the sway of a trusted pack mate, loud, completely metal and plastic.


He will, I'm sure this is not unique to this dog, chase it and bark at it from a distance of 4 inches but never get closer. Very barbarian in technique, but without any follow through. Have we, his human pack reined him in?


Whether this intimidation tactic is instinctive or learned, his new behavior is definitely learned. Thanks to 4 months of very consistent contact and lots of discipline sessions, Buck now hears the vacuum and starts to bark, looks over his shoulder at me, growls, and I say No, and he trots over and goes into pre sleep mode on my lap. It's amazing. I'm very proud.



But a little worried. Have I stripped my little warrior buddy---competent slayer of aliens---of his protect-and-scare-off nature?

No comments: